Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Habemus Papam

For Catholics and others, today Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, was elected Pope Benedict XVI.Some of the radio personalities and broadcasters were correct. It appears the College of Cardinals decided against candidates for Pope who were younger and would have a long tenure as Pontiff for the Catholic Church. An elder Pope was selected with the idea of a "transitional" pope. Transitioning from the long legacy of Pope John Paul II and into the 266th Pontiff.

MoreThenCorn had incorrectly predicted a Spanish decent Pope be elected. Reason; The Catholic Church is alive and well among Spanish speaking communities. Mexico, Central/South America these countries on these continents are overwhelmingly Catholic.

It is unknown if consideration was made to Pope Benedicts country of origin, Germany. It is reasonable to conjecture this German Pope will bring change in his tenure for rebuilding the European Catholic faith. Countries such as Germany, France, Belgium and many other Western and Eastern European countries are secular today. Churches are empty, of nearly all faiths.

I visited Germany in 1994. Living near Hanover in Peppinghausen, Germany are the Reasoner/Rosener family. They are my family still in the motherland. I attended church with them at their Lutheran Church in a neighboring town. Even in 1994 it was apparent not only the Catholic Church but all faiths were in decline in once staunchly Christian Europe. In this beautiful and large church which probably could seat many hundreds, there may have been 50 in attendance. It was very surprising to me as a kid of 15 years. My family had been going to church regularly from the time I was about 3 years. It was bizarre to me how Germany, from where the great reformer, Martin Luther had come, was a country in religious decline.

God Bless Pope Benedict XVI.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would like to add a little side-note to MoreThanCorn's observation that religion is declining in Europe.

I lived for two years in the Czech Republic (1997 and 1998) and, although I do not consider myself a religious person, it was evident there, too. My co-workers there said that a lot of that had to do with the Communist regime. Many are athiest, or just really don't care to practice their religion anymore. Most of the Czechs who held on to their religious beliefs are Catholic, although many other religions are represented (including the ever-insidious Mormons :-).

Why Germany has shown a decline I am not sure. It could be possible that Hitler's regime had an influence on it, but really I don't know enough on Germany's religious history to suggest this comment with great confidence.

have a great day,
Blaine