Thursday, April 21, 2005

Confucius Say, "Pope should be less vague"

After reading the following article;Title - "New Pope reaches out"Subtitle- "Dialogue sought with youths, non-Christians"
Chicago Tribune article of April 21, 2005. Written by Steve Kloehn;

What does Pope Benedict mean? Let us read some quotes to make up our minds;Priorities of Benedict XVI; 1) Reunification with other Christians, 2) Dialogue with non-Christian faiths and civilizations, 3) Special Message for young people

"Primary commitment - working tirlessly toward the reconstitution of the full and visible unity of all Christ's followers...Theological dialogue is necessary."

"I address myself to everyone, even to those who follow other religions or who are simply seeking an answer to the fundamental question of life and have not found the answer."

Analysis; I am Cornfused. What did he say? And no, reading the entire article did not give the above quotes any additional context. I asked multiple Catholics and non-believers at work and everyone shrug their shoulders and began to studder when attempting to explain or justify the banter.

These statements are vague, dull and if the Pope wants to garner attention to his passion and cause, the quotes need to come with more specificity. Blanket statements reminiscent of corporate speak never reach out to us here at home. I hope the Tribune just mistakenly printed only the quotes without thought or philosophy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is interesting. When I also read (on Yahoo) about the Pope's wanting "reunification with other Christians", I also asked my co-workers what they thought. Some had the same theory I had going in the back of my head...is "reunification" a euphemism for "Let's make all Christians just like us Catholics". Hmmmmmm...I can hear that catchy Mel Brooks tune in my head now: "The Inquisition, what a show, the Inquisition, here we go..." :-)