Monday, June 19, 2006

Donations Increase in 2005

Stephanie Strom from the New York Times wrote the article and I picked it up from the Arizona Republic. "Disasters fueled increase in 2005 donations, report says". Using the NYT search engine I was not able to find the article's link even though it was just published today. So I will type pieces without losing Mrs Strom's message:

"Charitable giving increased last year, propelled by a series of natural disasters hat home and abroad...

Individuals and institutions gave away an estimate $260.28 billion in 2005, a 2.7 percent increase on an inflation adjusted basis over the prior year."
This date was collected American Association of Fundraising Counsel and the Center on Philanthropy at Indiana University.

"From December 2004- October 2005 an estimate $7.37 billion was donated to address the ravages of natural disasters.

Without disaster-related philanthropy, however, giving would have been flat. The stock market increased only moderately last year, and personal incomes fell for the second year in a row."


Richard Jolly, chairman of Giving USA stated "Instead, people gave over and above what we expected in response to the disasters.

The trend was echoed among corporations, whose giving jumped 18.5 perent, adjusted for inflation, to $13.77 billion. Many companies enjoyed record profits last year, which they shared with disaster victims and relief groups."


This should have been front page news if the NYT or the Arizona Republic wanted to be fair. As much corporation bashing and American-European comparing as I read from both papers, this shows Corporate America and Joe American are record setting givers.

I do not believe incomes went down for the second year in a row. My income went up. So did everyone I know whom I have asked. Increase in income (with consideration of inflation) is at 100% representation among my peers. And I work in tight-belted insurance.

No comments: