Monday, May 16, 2005

Shameful Newsweek, Allegations on Koran Desecration

The recent Newsweek article quoted a nameless yet “knowledgeable U.S. government source” accusing interrogators for flushing a Koran down the toilet. The article has been a catalyst for demonstrations throughout the Middle East. In some demonstrations-turn riot, a dozen or more people have died and many more injured.

The writers, Michael Isikoff and John Barry did not substantiate the claims of their article by any other source.

While Newsweek should not be held to responsible the deaths and injuries at demonstrations, they should be held to responsible for gross negligence for their journalistic mistakes. Both Michael Isikoff and John Barry should be terminated and their ability to work in Journalism should be stripped. They wrote a biased article with no proof of their allegations. They work for a formerly respected publication. The two writers have brought discredit to Newsweek.

Newsweek has apologized for the mistakes. A little late.

A less obvious note to be made; Muslims took the desecration of the Koran very serious and were enraged by this article. While the actions of a few causing violence is pathetic, the anger of many is justified. Why should they not believe a media outlet from the United States, accusing the United States of desecrating the Koran. Those responsible for the violence should be held accountable like those in charge at Newsweek and the two writers.

I am impressed how Muslims are upset by even the possibility the Koran was disrespected. If the Bible was flushed down a toilet by some in this nation, the media may send shouts of praise through their columns and call it “exercising the right to free speech.”

The old media giants are giving the public more reason each day to let them go the way of the Dodo.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

MoreThanCorn,

Good job on another attack on the Manipulative Mass Media. I won't comment specifically on this case (of a copy of the Koran being flushed down the toilet) because I haven't read the original article.

However, in my own line of work we are constantly having to put up with the media getting the facts wrong and trying to spread paranoia in the public.

I work in Public Health. I won't say specifically for whom, because I do not wamt my comments to appear to reflect those of my employer. But, my work does involve public health and infectious disease. I cannot even begin to count how many times we have been working on a particular disease when the media gets ahold of the info and blows it completely out of proportion:

"Is this deadly strain of bacteria in your home?"

"What can you do to protect your loved ones?"

"What are health officials doing about it?"

When we have outbreaks or a rare disease pops up, I have often been asked to do an interview with a local paper or TV station. I always decline because of my lack of respect for the (mainly local) media and I just know they will mis-quote me. It can be especially dangerous in my line of work, because the typical American public is largely uneducated in science and health/disease, so it is easy to instill paranoia.

I once did do an interview with CNN during the anthrax scare late 2001, because I hold them in higher regards than the local media.

Unfotunately, it's a sad truth that until the public is better informed on world topics, whether disease in their community or the religious beliefs across the sea, the ever-powerful Manipulative Mass Media will have control...

Blaine